Encounter a wilder nature in the Bison Hillock
Day 1: Track the mighty bison like a ranger
What will you do?
- See the bison’s importance to the ecosystem, guided by the local bison rewilding team and experienced nature guides
- Learn how to interpret and identify the actors of flora and fauna on the stage of the Romanian wilderness and get a taste of the traditional lifestyle in the Southern Carpathians.
- Get a first hand experience of nature conservation
How long does it take?Tracking the bison will take up to 3-5 hours hiking.
How to dress?
- It’s recommended that you wear neutral coloured clothing (no bright colours, try to blend in).
- Bring good waking shoes and a raincoat.
- And don’t forget your sense of adventure.
Get in touch with our team, for a personalised quote for the experience.The experience is designed to include specialized guiding, 4x4 transport & a traditional picnic.
The products provided in the picnic are all locally sourced so you are contributing to helping keep local agricultural practices alive.
Stay overnight in the Bison Hillock
Spend the night in the Bison Hillock
Tented camp experienceSleep in the wild, listen in on nature and nourish yourself with a campfire breakfast and dinner.
Spend the night with a local familyYou will experience a simple and delightful way of life
Day 2: Play hide and seek with bear and chamoix
Where?Rusca Teregova, Caraș-Severin, Romania
What will you do?
- Spend a late-evening in a wildlife watching hide and get a chance to see the ghostly bear amongst other elusive wildlife in the Southern Carpathians.
- Throughout the experience you will be accompanied by an experienced nature guide who will keep you safe and informed along the way.
- Spend the night thereafter in a near-by cabin and reflect on your experience and sightings. Wake up to a coffee and view over the Rusca Lake.
- After breakfast, a local guide will take you in search of the agile chamois as it traverses across the woody cliffs of the Țarcu Mountains.
How long does it take?Transfer between Armeniș and Rusca Teregova takes 30 min by car.
The hike to the bear watching hides is also 30 min. Bear watching takes place after dark.
On day 2, you will hike for no more than 3 hours.
How to dress?It’s recommended that you wear neutral coloured clothing (no bright colours, try to blend in)
Bring good waking shoes, warm clothes and a raincoat.
For the bear watching experience, it’s important that you don’t wear perfume or freshly washed clothes that day, as the bears may turn away to avoid the unknown.
Get in touch with our team, for a personalised quote for the experience.The experience includes specialised guiding, 4x4 transport, accomodation in a mountain cabin, traditional breakfast & dinner
Your meals are all locally sourced so you are contributing to helping keep local agricultural practices alive.
Book your trip:
Choose an interval below, to check availability for a 1 or 2 day experience in the Bison Hillock. The visiting season runs from the begining of April until the end of October.
A message from the host:
Your visit is employing and engaging members of the local community, while you learn about the beauties and challenges of nature conservation.
When you leave, your experiences and stories will travel further than any flyer we can make.
The Bison Hillock Association (AMZA)
Field Journal: Ranger in the Bison Hillock
Ask us anything:
T: +40 757 810905 (MATEI)